In many Native tribal communities, traditional medicines remain a good place to turn to for healing and well-being.
The following are believed to be effective remedies:
- Cedar is a protective medicine, shielding one’s energy from negativity and is sometimes used to purify the home along with sweetgrass and sage;
- cedar tea and cedar baths help reduce turmoil and strengthen the immune system;
- burning sage cleans the air and brings about a sense of peace and clarity of mind;
- burning sweetgrass when praying brings us closer to spirit;
- tobacco is used in prayer to help communicate our thoughts.
- Water is widely considered to be our first medicine and salt water in particular has immense healing properties.